Friday, August 28, 2009

Letter of the Week ---Aa

This week is another new week for the fall season. I start all over again to review the letters with Evan. Since Ethan is at home now, he learns and does the activities with Evan.

Letter of the week: Aa
Object: Apple and ant
Number: 1
Shape: Circle

I read the stories about apple and also the Johnny Appleseed story. I bought different kinds of apple with different sizes. Evan has to group them according to the sizes, big or small.


Grouping the apples according to the sizes.


I drew some apple shapes and cut them out. Evan has to trace the numbers on the apples and arrange them in order.


Another way to learn the letter is asking the boys to make a letter A out of the blocks.

Ant hunting:
Ant is the easiest insect to be found around the condo area. The boys looked for the ants at the bush and finally got some. We put some food on a tray and to check which food the ants like the most.

On the way to find the ants.


They are observing the ants moving around.


I cut two apples in two different ways. One is from top to bottom and one is from the middle. I let the kids compared them and tell me what is the differences. The apple on the left side is bilateral symmetry and the one at the right side is radial symmetry.
They then put the paint on the apple and made the apple prints on the papers.




e
Ethan is teaching Evan how to arrange the block according to their sizes. From one block up to ten block high. I do not buy a lot of Mathematic manipulatives from the store because I know the kids can learn about math from everything that surround them anywhere anyplace.
I used the UNO cards from 1 to 9 and the blocks for the math game. Evan has to match the number of the blocks on the according UNO number card.

I cut the jelly sandwiched into circle shape. This is another way to introduce shape to the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment