Friday, October 2, 2009

Weekly Homeschool Report--Week6

Another week passed by...This week I am more focus on a unit study about Moon Cake Festival. Ethan still worked on the worksheets every morning and finished his online course through Time4learning.com.

Moon Cake festival is around the corner. I would like the boys to know more about the festival. I searched online to look for more material about this festival and found some interesting stories. I told them about the legendary story and the origin of the mooncake. We went to the Mama Grocery Store to buy two modern lantern( plastic one with annoying noise).

I found a YouTube video clip about Moon Cake Festival online and let the boys watched it so that they have a better idea about this Chinese Festival. The video clip can be seen here:





Chinese poem about the moon cake festival

The boys is showing off their lantern.



We borrowed this game from local library. They liked it so much. This game is called Straw and Connectors.




Math: Learning about Time
I wrote down different time on several pieces of paper. I lay them down on the floor and gave Ethan some pop quiz about time. I asked him some questions and he had to figure out the answer and step on the right paper. For example, I will ask him simple question such as
"Now is 3pm, 2 hours later is what time?"




For Evan, he is learning sorting the straws according to the colors. We played estimation game trying to guess the amount of the straws in each color groups.



Ethan trying to build a house and Evan is lying down on the floor. Evan told me that Ethan is measuring him





Science: Observing the mold
I put two bread and cucumbers on a plate. The boys will do the observation on the bread and cucumber for one week. Ethan will write down the changes on the bread and cucumbers. First day, the breads are soft and the cucumbers are fresh. The second day, the bread is hardened and the cucumbers are shrink. I told them mold will form the following days and they will see some black stuff on the bread.






For Evan, we continue on letter of the week. This week is Letter Ff.

He had to paste all the pictures starting with F on this Ff words book. We made the letter books every week.







No comments:

Post a Comment