Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week5 Zoo Theme

According to the letteroftheweek.com curriculum, this week suppose is Lighthouse theme. Too bad I could not find enough material about lighthouse so I choose the Zoo as our weekly theme.

This is book that we read while doing this week theme.


We have Houston Zoo membership. I brought both boys there several times. So, when I wrote the words ZOO, Evan knew it immediately. We have some zoo animal toys and I took them out so that he can play with it. One thing I did with the animal figures was while I read about the Zoo book, I will ask him to point to that particular animals mentioned in the book.
I drew some spots, stripes, humps, long neck,long horn and long trunk on six separate boxes on a piece of paper and asked him to match the specific characteristic with those animals. He managed to do it well.

This week number is number 5. I asked him to show me number 5 from a bunch of numbers. When he was eating his cereal, I asked him to take out five cereals from his bowl and he did.



I got some lapbook material from Homeschoolshare.com and printed it out to let Evan do the Zoo lapbook. This is the simple lapbook. It is all about numbers and animals. Each pocket got certain amount of animal and he had to match that numbers on the pocket.









Then, I asked him to sing an Elephant song for me in Chinese. It is about a kid asking a baby elephant why he got such a long trunk. Is it because he is lying too much? Then, the baby elephant told him that it is because his mom said it is beautiful to have a long trunk and not because he is lying too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment