Thursday, April 16, 2009

A decision to make

Most of my friends in Houston know that we are going to homeschool our kids this coming fall. I got objection as well as support from friends and family. But after all, it is our decision to do the best for our boys.

I almost finish preparing the curriculum for Ethan to start his first grade from many homeschooling resources. But just this week, we got a letter from school saying that Ethan is selected for the Gifted Talent Program based on his Stanford test few months ago. He met the criteria and requirements according to the school system. I supposed to be happy to got the news since the school recognized his ability to perform well academically. In contrary, I am not sure whether continue my home school plan for him or putting him into the GT program.

Part of the reason I want to homeschool him is because to get him away from the bad influence from his peers. He learned so many bad things and words in school. I cannot control who he met with in his class and who he mingled around. One time, I found a paper written with SEX in his bagpack. I asked him who wrote that word, he said is another girl from class. I told him I will talk to his teacher, he then admitted that he wrote those words but is a girl told him to do that. He did not know what is that means and I explained to him in a simple way.

Well, long story short, Eric think that we better let him try out the GT program first and see how everything works out. It is hard to be a parents nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment